Monday, June 8, 2009

history of s'mores, more NCIS, and pies!

So, curious about who invented s'mores?? I sure was, which is why I wikied it! And then googled it. Here's what I found:
1. S'mores comes from the phrase "some more", as in give me some more of those delicious treats! Wiki says "its meaning hints at the desires of campers who are not satisfied by just one s'more"
2. Couldn't find where s'mores come from, but a bunch of sources say the first recipe for s'mores can be found in the Girl Scout Handbook of 1927. 
3. Apparently s'mores are very american and also canadian (or popular in those places)
4. S'mores have become so popular that Pop-Tarts produced a s'mores flavor (which I have seen, but have not tried)
5. More on where they came from. All the ingredients were "readily available" to americans by the late 19th century (so says some random s'mores site). Evidence shows these ingredients were used on a regular basis, but does not tell us when they were invented or by whom. So where did the idea come from? Victorian cookbooks have recipes for "sandwich cookies" while american cookbooks in the early 20th century contain recipes for chocolate sandwiches and marshmallow sandwiches. Finally, apparently american food companies were combining these three ingredients in the 1920s, such as mallomars and moon pies. 

That's as far as I got before I got bored... We may never know where these wonderful delights came from, but does it really matter? Let us just enjoy the pure genius of them- no need to understand them or their history. 


Now, I am currently watching NCIS- it's a particularly funny one... it's the halloween episode where some little girl is kidnapped... anyways, yesterday I went to Preeya's house and we threw a frisbee around in her yard for a bit then made a PIE. An apple blueberry pie. It was delicious. 

Oh! I have a short story to tell. A few days ago I went out to lunch with my mom and I was telling her about what my dream house would be like- I was describing the bay windows in my library- and when I paused to get some feedback from her she looked at me and said "your eyebrows are getting thick" so yeah... I'm not even sure if she was listening...

Also, we're cleaning up the house- getting it ready to move and all... and guess what? Not only did they rearrange a bunch of our furniture, but they also gave us a plant to put in our living room! it's green and makes the room look nicer... They did not bring the painting they said they would bring tho... 

Anyways, I'm hoping to go to a red sox game this week, but it's going to rain so it might be rained out... I'm hoping for the best though... 

There was definitely something else I wanted to discuss, but I can't seem to remember... Oh well. 


Time for more NCIS!


2 comments:

  1. Anna would say that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxiiiinee.....more blobe! more blobe! I'm not there to hear your genius in person, so I demand more blobe!

    ReplyDelete